We can use various approaches while selecting an element in Adobe Illustrator Selection Tool . We can see dashed frames throughout the boundary of the Element once it has made a successful selection.
+maj referred in the pictures below is basically means Shift Button in your Key Board
Major Types of Selection tool
a) The Selection tool b)Direct Selection tool c) Group Selection tool d) Lasso Tool e) Magic Wand Tool
These tools allow you to select one or more objects/elements by simply clicking on them.
Before proceeding further lets know what are paths and anchor points ?A path is the black line that appears when we draw a line in Adobe Illustrator. A path is made up of a series of points called “anchor points” and line segments between these points. The anchor points on either end of a path have “control handles” and these can be used to control the direction of the curved path.
The Lasso tool allows you to select one or more anchor points or segments by dragging the mouse pointer around or over the elements you want to select. The path created by lasso tool or pen tool can be later converted into regular selection . ( we will learn more about these on later classes )
The Selection Tool :
The Selection tool allows you to select objects or groups of objects.
- Click the Selection tool .
- Click on the object or draw a selection marquee around a part of the object or element .
- Hold down the Shift key and click to expand or collapse the selection.
Remember : in preview mode, if you want to select an object by clicking on the background, it is necessary to uncheck the Object Selection by drawing only in Edit> General Preferences .
Direct Selection Tool
The Direct Selection tool allows you to select anchor points, segments, but also objects or groups of objects.
- Click the Direct Selection tool .
- Click on the object or draw a selection marquee around a part of the object or elements .
- Hold down the key Shift and click to expand or collapse the selection.
You may ask what is the difference between the two ?The Selection tool is used for moving or selecting entire objects or elements , where as the Direct Selection tool , we can click on a particular anchor point and only manipulate that particular area , leaving the remaining anchor points intact
Group Selection Tool
The Group Selection tool in Adobe Illustrator Selection Tool allows you to select one or more objects in a group of objects.
- Click the Group Selection tool .
- Click on the object or draw a selection marquee on the boundary of the element
- Hold down the Shift key click to expand or collapse the selection or click a second time to select the second object, and so on.
Group Selection tool is used to select more than one Objects or element at the same time . It More or less functions as the regular Selection tool mentioned above
The Lasso Tool
The Lasso tool is used to select anchor points, segments, but also objects or groups of objects as well as objects in a group of objects.
- Click on the Lasso tool .
- Drag the pointer around the object or around a group of objects.
- Hold down the Shift Key and click to expand the selection.
- Hold alt down and click to narrow the selection.
Magic Wand & The marquee selection tool
For Drawing shape using the marquee from Adobe Illustrator Selection Tool consists of clicking and dragging the geometric shape with the dashed line that appears above the object or elements , or by simply moving on the shape or forms.
In case of Magic Wand tool , just click of a complex image and it would select the element for you flawlessly without any effort . Make sure the boundary of the element are in contrast with the background
The Layer Pallet
The Layers palette allows you to quickly and accurately select a single object from multiple objects or even groups of objects created as folders This is very useful when the illustration is made using many forms. Ex Head , legs , hands , etc
- A) Targeting and appearance column
- B) Selection column
- C) Highlighted list entry and indicator
- D) Grey Circle indicating a selection of objects
- E) Selected Path inside a group
Remember: The colors of the squares correspond to the active color in the Layer Options.
The ring means that an effect has been applied to the object, in this example a transparency.
- To Show Layers palette click F7
- Expand the layer by clicking on the hollow triangle on the left.
- Click on the layer in the selection column
- Use the key Shift expand or reduce the selection
Select all objects in a layer or group
- To Show Layers palette click F7
- Click in the selection column of the layer or group. Colored squares appear next to the name of each selected element.
- Show Layers palette F7
- Press the Shift Key and click on the name of the group of objects.
Text object selection
You can select text objects using standard selection tools like any object. To select all text objects in a document, choose Select> Object> Text Objects .
Remember : be careful not to confuse selection of a text object and selection of text that is done with the Text tool .
To select all objects in the art-board, choose Select > All or ctrl A.
To select all the objects on a layer, select a first object and select Select> Object> All on the same layer . Be careful, hidden or locked objects are also selected.
Our Video Courses of the Same will be launched shortly